When it comes to steak, I like to keep it simple. Over the past couple of years, we’ve dramatically reduced our red meat consumption so when we have a steak dinner it’s a real treat. We subscribe to the notion of “less is more,” meaning we’d prefer to eat a better quality product less often.
“Less is more” also works when you think about how to prepare a really beautiful piece of meat. Really, you don’t have to do much. I simply season steaks with some coarse salt, freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil that I rub over the meat. Then I fire up the BBQ or the grill pan and get grilling. It’s that simple.
Where you can have a little fun is with the accompanying vegetables. My favourite? Frites—you know, as in steak-frites! Steak-frites is one of those dishes that I’ll order when I am eating out because I’ll so rarely make it at home. But for a really special treat, I’ll prepare crispy oven-baked potato wedges to serve with my perfectly seared steak.
Here’s what to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 450˚F.
- Slice some potatoes into “fry” shapes.
- Parboil them for 10 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry (this is important).
- Place the wedges in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Season with coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil (make sure all the wedges have a little oil on them)
- Bake them until they are crispy (about 45 minutes depending on the thickness of the wedges).
And what to serve with these oven-baked wedges? If you said “ketchup” you’d be wrong. I mean, ketchup is okay but mayonnaise is WAY better. Especially when it’s my easy homemade mayonnaise. Requiring just four ingredients and a food processor, this recipe will change the way you think about mayonnaise (hint: it doesn’t always need to come out of a jar!)
A perfectly grilled steak and oven-baked potato wedges with homemade mayonnaise—what could be a better way to enjoy “meat and potatoes”?